Welcome to our life

OUR GROWING FAMILY







Saturday, June 7, 2014

Kates Diagnosis

This is a tough post for me and I am in the thick of all of the emotions that something like this will bring to a family.
Let me start at the beginning. I had scheduled a two week appointment with my ob to check my surgical scar after the c section. Once there he brought me a piece of paper and said that he was a little confused. He said that this was the report from pathology after sending my placenta off to be tested to see if they could find a reason Kate had stopped growing. He said the report showed that the placenta had "characteristics of CMV (cytomegalovirus)." This was a virus we had been tested for back when I was 20 weeks pregnant and our sonogram showed the abnormalities in Kates liver and bowel. The results showed that I was positive for a primary infection (which is not abnormal and did not pose a threat to the baby) but negative for an acute infection (in which cases the babies usually do not live past a few days old and have lots of deformities at birth). So for the last 23 weeks we have thought we were in the "all clear" for a CMV infection. My doctor had taken Kate out of the car seat at that point and was loving on her. He said he was confused because she seemed so perfect and babies with CMV infections would not have made it this long. In his words "she is not a CMV baby." He was very honest and said that he needed to call Kates pediatrician and the pediatric infectious disease doctor as he was not sure where to go from here. So he did just that while we were in his office. Together the 4 of us talked via speaker phone and it was determined that we needed to have Kate tested for CMV virus. We were told to go to the lab and obtain an urine sample and we would have the results in a week or so.
Longest week of my life! To be completely honest I had really blocked it out. In my mind she was perfect and did not have CMV.
So last Thursday when Kates pediatrician called and said that she was positive for CMV it hit my like a ton of bricks. That sick to your stomach feeling. That feeling like you have no idea how you will make it to the next hour. How could this happen to her? After all we have been through?
What to do now? This virus is very complex and I still do not have a good understanding of the acute vs symptomatic natures of it.
Kates pediatrican called and said that we needed to have a bunch of testing done. Monday we had an appmt with a pediatric opthamalogist as some babies with this will be blind. On Wednesday we had an appmt to have a CT of her brain because some of these babies will have lesions in their brains that will lead to seizure disorders and developmental delays. We will also have a sono of her liver that day to see if the calcifications are still there. And on Thursday we went to the audiologist because some of these babies will be deaf.
That is a lot to take in for a mom of a newborn via phone conversation with your childs doctor.
Great news is that her vision is perfect! 
On Wednesday we were told that the ultrasound of her brain showed no calcifications or lesions and that she would most likely not have any seizure disorder or developmental delays. Praise Jesus. The dr did say that he say two small "blobs" on both sides of the open spaces in her brain and they were of the same size and they indicated that she had a small brain bleed in utero. Wow!! He said that they measured so small they did not even register on the scale they use to measure them and that they would not cause any future problems. Her liver still showed the exact same calcifications as they did while I was pregnant and they had not multiplied or grown. Wonderful news again. 
On Thursday we went to the audiologist and were told after a bunch of tests that she is "profoundly deaf" in her right ear. Her left ear is perfect. There is no hearing in the right ear therefore she would not even be eligible for a hearing aid. The audiologist told us that there was virtually no chance for her to regain that hearing. And also the way CMV works there is about a 50% chance she will lose the hearing in her left ear over time. So the plan will be to continually moniter the left ear and should we notice that she is losing some hearing in that ear she will immediately get a hearing aid. Should she lose all of the hearing in that ear then she would be eligible for a cochlear implant. The audiologist told us that if things were to stay the way they were with the left ear being great then her speech and language should develop completely normal. The only thing would be some minor modifications such as reducing background noise and possible preferential seating in her classroom as she starts in school. My heart is very hopeful with her current diagnosis but a part of me is saddened to think that she may feel different than her peers or possibly be made fun of. Part of me is saddened that she isnt completely "perfect" as we think of in this world. But I remain joyful in the fact that she is made perfect in the eyes of God. I know He did not want Kate to have this hearing loss but I know He can use it for good. I know that she is a very loved little girl and I know that she has a support system of people that are committed to loving her exactly the way she is. 
On Monday we have her 1 month appointment and my hope is to gain a little more information about the progression of this virus and what the future looks like for Kate. But as of now I will rejoice in the perfect little girl we have. I will be thankful for every second I spent with her and the sweet family God has blessed me with.

1 comments:

The Mahoney's said...

Thank you for sharing. I am so sad for both of you. It is so hard when there is something wrong with your sweet sweet baby. I will be praying for you all. I am encouraged by your faith and love for God. Hugs)))

Post a Comment